Folks in Atlanta who want to lose weight, might have heard or read about so many diet plans across your favourite health magazines. But have you heard about the Keto Diet? If you haven’t, it is one to take note of. Not only does it ensure you to lose a few pounds before your upcoming holiday parties, it has many purported health benefits. So if you’re looking to lose weight in Atlanta, keep reading on to find out the benefits and suggested meal plan of the keto diet.
So… What is the Keto Diet?
The Keto diet, also known as the Ketogenic Diet, is a low carb, high fat diet which allows the body to turn into a fat burning machine. So instead of running on carbs, the body produces ketones found in the liver to be used as energy. Ketones are produced if you eat very few carbs (that are quickly broken down into blood sugar) and only moderate amounts of protein, and are an alternative fuel for the body, used when blood sugar (glucose) is in short supply.
What Are Its Benefits?
- Weight Loss: The obvious benefit is weight loss as your body is essentially using body fat as an energy source resulting in a great decrease in insulin levels.
- Energy Support: You must be thinking, how can a diet plan help with increasing my energy levels? Yes, it can! Fat and the ketones produced from fat are readily available. So once your body is adapted to the fact, you will find that your body can easily go for hours without certain foods and still have lots of energy.
- Mental Focus: Ketones are a great source of fuel for the brain. When you lower your carb intake, you avoid huge spikes in the blood sugar. In which can result in improved focus and concentration.
- Reversing type 2 Diabetes: When we consume carbs, the body breaks them down into sugar. From there, they enter the bloodstream making our blood sugar levels elevated. With this diet, you will be consuming less to no carbs resulting in fewer spikes in sugar levels and insulin.
- Acne: With the ketogenic diet, you’re bound to see improvements in your skin making it look clearer and healthier. The reason is that you won’t be eating acne causing foods such as wheat and dairy.